Saturday 23 January 2010

Abstainer vs. Moderator

Happy New Year everyone! That seems like an odd greeting to me, but as this is my first post of 2010, I'll let it pass.

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Unclutterer.com, but it's a "blog about getting and staying organized". To be honest, I can't remember how I discovered the site. Anyway, today's post got me thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that, as much as my mind balks against it, I'm an abstainer. It's much easier for me to avoid a temptation entirely than to try to exert some sort of control over it. I often find myself wishing that I was better at moderating things, as the self-control it requires appears to make it the nobler trait.

I think the following story aptly illustrates my point...

Every year, David's grandmother gives the grandchildren a Terry's Chocolate Orange. There are various flavours that the grandchildren can choose from, but it's some form of chocolate orange. When David and I were dating, and I started spending Christmas in Scotland, Granny Anderson kindly included me in the tradition. Now, I make no secret of the fact that I like chocolate....a lot. Things like potato chips and sausage rolls, which are equally unhealthy, aren't a big issue for me, but chocolate is another matter entirely.

This particular Christmas Day, I decided to have a segment or two of the orange after opening presents. After lunch, I helped myself to a couple more segments. During the course of the afternoon, a couple more. By the end of the day, through a series of indulgences, each moderate in and of itself, I had worked my way through all 20 segments. Only after the fact did I look at the calorie information on the box. I'm not sure which made me feel worse: the amount of chocolate sitting in my stomach, or the fact that, at 47 calories a segment, I had consumed 940 calories (47% of my daily requirement). David later summed up my view on the matter as "I'm going to consume 940 calories anyway, so rather than doing it over several days or weeks, I might as well do it all at once".

So, going on the above, I'm clearly not a moderator. It would have been easier for me to put the chocolate orange on the snack shelf in the kitchen and leave it there, than to open it and slowly work my way through it.

I guess being aware of the fact that I'm an abstainer means that I can work within the constraints of my nature. I can, and indeed do, put snacks on a top shelf in the kitchen because I can't reach it without going through the bother of digging out the step stool.

So, to echo the question in the Unclutterer blog, which one are you?

2 comments:

Jax said...

thats fantastic!! your an excellent writer!! :D xxx

Ashley Morrison said...

Thanks, Jackie! Glad you enjoyed it.